Friday, March 06, 2009

Today on Serious Grape: California Cabernet for Every Budget

Today on Serious Grape I take on California Cabernets --from a budget perspective. (picture from hahnfamilywines)

I love Cabernet from my home state, but they can be prohibitively expensive, hard to find, or both. What I can find in the wine stores and supermarkets is often blah and boring.

Recently I tasted through a wide variety of Cabernet Sauvignons. Click over to Serious Grape, my weekly column on Serious Eats, to see what I thought were the best in the $10 and under category, the $10-$15 category, the $15-$20 category, and the $20-$25 category.

No matter what your budgetary ceiling, if you love Cabernet from California I've got a recommendation for you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't like the test of wine made from grapes... i wonder why the grapes is so delicious but when it is turned into wine, so many people don't like the taste..

Joe said...

I would never dare to find California Cab "values", but I think you have nailed a few goodies. Problem is that Cab is SO valuable it makes no sense to put it in a cheapo, you use it to boost production of your overpriced regular bottling...

Private said...

I like your blog!

http://globalartblog.com/

Anonymous said...

as a practical matter, i've basically given up on Cali cabs in the sub-$20 range after one too many boring insipid bottles.

I'm so glad you did the legwork & sipping for us!

please keep on blogging :]