Friday, September 18, 2009

This Week on Serious Grape: The Farmers' Market Wine

With most farmers' markets full of local produce, many of us are eating our fill of vegetables these days. Tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, onions, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and beets are piled high in my local market. (photo by NatalieMaynor)

One wine stands out to me as a real friend to all these vegetables: Pinot Grigio. This week on Serious Grape, my column on Serious Eats, I share my recommendations for some of the best new Pinot Grigios in the market. They come from all over the world--Italy, France, Calfornia, and Australia--and though each one has a distinct style they share common characteristics like good acidity that make them a perfect partner for vegetables.

Head over and check out my list of Pinot Grigio suggestions and be sure to add your own if you think I've missed one. A colorful tomato salad and a glass of Pinot Grigio is one of September's great treats, so head to your local farmers' market this weekend and then to the wine store.

5 comments:

sirvan said...

I can't believe vege also is a source of wine. - a Pinot Grigio.

Claire Uncorked said...

What? Not Santa Margherita? (Ha! I think I'm funny sometimes...)

Thanks for the list. Finding good Pinot Grigio can be a real challenge.

Francesco said...

Man I love veggies! The open markets i Italy are teaming with great produce right, especially fresh porcini. I will try some pinot gris next time Im there.

taemo said...

mmmmmm.. I love vegetables 'coz i am vegetarian. But don't mention 'bout the wine :-)

Ang said...

I would like to email an idea to the writer of this blog but don't know how (I'm new at this). Please let me know how to respond to the writer of the blog. Thank you so very much. ANG